AA collision between a motorcycle and another vehicle oftentimes results in severe injuries. Public perceptions of motorcycles and the increased risks of severe injuries related to motorcycle accidents means that receiving assistance from an experienced motorcycle accident attorney Las Vegas is critical.
Motorcycle Accident Attorney Las Vegas Thinks Discrimination Exist
A percentage of the population has a negative perception of motorcyclists, which is often influenced by movies, TV and stereotypes. Motorcycle accidents accounted for 17.5% of all auto accidents in 2010. This statistic has affected how other motorists treat motorcyclists, and can lead others to assume that road accidents are caused by motorcyclists due to negligence and fault on their part.
Las Vegas Motorcycle Lawyer: Most Motorists Have Dangerous Driving Attitudes
An auto accident with a motorcycle is often the result of dangerous driving attitudes of car and truck drivers.
- Changing Lanes. Some drivers fail to check their mirrors, or over their shoulder when changing lanes. Drivers should pay careful attention to look out for a passing motorcyclist and respect their rights on the road. In addition, motorcyclists should also be aware that some drivers fail to recognize their presence and should be cautious when passing cars and other vehicles.
- Slugging Traffic. Occasionally, a group of motorcyclists will ride in formations not familiar to other motorists, and will respond differently to traffic than drivers of cars and trucks. In that event, drivers may tend to disregard safe distance or may be impatient with motorcyclist to overtake them in a dangerous manner.
- Failure to Follow a Safe Distance. Drivers sometimes fail to recognize the vulnerability of motorcycles or are unable to comprehend that motorcycles can have a quick stop time compared to a car. Due to their quick stop time, at times, a safe following distance isn’t practiced by many motorists.
- Failure to Give Way When Turning. Prior to making a turn, particularly on the left, drivers often tend to not see an oncoming motorcyclist in a marked traffic lane which results in an accident. Drivers should pay careful attention to the probability that a motorcycle will also be present on the roadway. Likewise, motorcyclist should also be cautious and aware that some drivers fail to observe their presence.
- Weaving. Motorcyclists are sometimes seen approaching the roadways while weaving between lanes. Oftentimes, drivers tend not to notice their presence, which may result in an accident. As well, motorcyclists must also pay careful attention and comprehend that the changing of lanes or sudden stops might result in an accident.
- Riding on the Shoulder. Sometimes, motorists will pass quickly over cars on the shoulders of roadways, particularly when there is crowded traffic. This act in some states is illegal. Motorcyclists, while passing on the shoulders, must ensure that no debris or obstructions are present along the way.
Maximum Injury Possibilities
Motorcycles, being uncovered and unprotected, increase the risks for serious injuries during collisions, especially when the driver is dragged underneath the chassis, or thrown from the motorcycle. Drivers, as well as motorcyclists, should recognize the high vulnerability of motorcycles in accidents. The use of leathers, boots, helmets, or other types of protective gear can provide some protection in accidents. Motorcyclists should regularly check that their motorcycles are in good running condition.
Likewise, tires should be checked to ensure their safety. Blowouts and punctured tires can also cause motorcycle accidents. Alcohol intake prior to riding motorcycles is a major risk factor, and can cause serious accidents.
Las Vegas Motorcycle Lawyer Suggests The Use of Helmet
Motorcyclists frequently find wearing a helmet as an inconvenience. Most of those motorcyclists do not favor the use of any protective gear. The question arises as to whether wearing a helmet is a necessity or not. Check with an attorney whether your state requires the use of a helmet.
According to Las Vegas motorcycle lawyer, it is the ultimate right of the motorcyclist to choose what type of safety gear they use while riding a motorcycle. If you want to increase safety and decrease the risk of injuries, a helmet should always be worn.